Tuesday 27 March 2012

Passion fruit marshmallow chicks

Easter is my favourite time ever, chicks, bunnies, lambs, chocolate, its all great. So I wanted to make some special easter treats, this was the start of many!

I've made marshmallows loads of times, but always stuck to simple vanilla ones, so wanted to try my hand at something a bit more exciting! Passionfruits are one of my favourites, plus they are yellow so perfect for chicks. I ordered some nice little easter cutters from ebay (amongst a few other things...) so thought i'd put them to good use.








The recipe is quite simple;

450g sugar
1 tablespoon of glucose
200ml of water
9 sheets of gelatine
2 egg whites
Juice of around 4 passionfruits

Soak the gelatine in 140ml of water
Put the sugar glucose and 200ml of water in a pan and bring to 127 degrees (you will need a sugar thermometer but can get them for a couple of quid on ebay)
Meanwhile whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks.
Once the syrup is up to temperature, slide in the gelatine, mix gently and then pour slowly into the egg whites with the machine still running.
Whisk for around 10-15mins, adding the passionfruit juice around half way in. I added a tiny bit of yellow food colouring to enhance the colour of the passionfruits.
Then pour the mixture into tins dusted with icing sugar and leave to set, which only takes about an hour.




I dyed some granulated sugar with food colouring, just mixed the food colouring in with the tiniest bit of water then left to dry. Had to sieve it a good few times to get rid of clumps but was left with some great chick yellow sugar to coat the marshmallows in! I used food colouring pens for eyes and noses.






I also made a couple of bunnies with some vanilla marshmallow for good measure...




This was all done in one night, alongside a cake for cake club (post to follow) and a good deal of sitting outside drinking wine in the unusually lovely weather, so they weren't anywhere near as neat as I wanted them to be, but they did taste good...

Soph x


No comments:

Post a Comment