Thursday 30 June 2011

Vegan Chocolate Brownies

With one vegan sister, and one lactose intolerant friend, dairy/egg free cooking is something I definitely wanted to get to grips with. As I flew home to Belfast to celebrate Debbies birthday I decided to make her some nice dairy free treats.


It was a really simple recipe, substituting butter and milk for soya butter and milk, and using no eggs (oil instead) its actually turned out as something I will definitely be cooking again.











It was quite nice cooking at home as we have a much bigger kitchen than I have in manchester, plus a nicer oven, and a little visitor to keep me company....














The recipe and frosting is completely vegan, but I wanted to kitch it up a little as they were birthday brownies, unfortunately its so hard to get good vegan sweets so the final version were only dairy free, but I kept a few vegan...

I also added a few chunks of good quality dark chocolate, a bit of luxury which is needed when there is no butter.
And that was it! They actually turned out really well, not quite as fudgy or squidgy as I would normally like a brownie to be, but as a vegan alternative they are great, hope the birthday girl enjoyed them!

2 comments:

  1. Get the recipies up here Spo! Spread the good news - vegans are just as greedy for treats as the rest. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm....brownies........I just had a cup of tea with three sugars because there were no other sources of sugar in the flat. A new low. There was a period when I would make a puddle of icing up after dinner and dip biscuits in there..icing......x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The look yummy and I can imagine cooking is more fun with your furry pooch-shaped kitchen helper!

    ReplyDelete